10 Signs That You Have a Foundation Problem
Foundation problems can end up causing major issues with the rest of your house or structure. So, it is very important that you know the signs of a failing foundation to protect your home or structure from damage. Here are 10 of the top signs that you need foundation repair:
- The first is squeaky or sticky doors. Many people ignore this about their doors and just think that a door that starts sticking to the frame is normal. Well, it’s not. If your doors start squeaking when you move them or they start sticking to the door frame when it didn’t do so before, you may need foundation repair.
- The second is similar to the first, but it involves windows. This too is mostly viewed as normal. But, windows that start squeaking out of nowhere are a common sign that you may have foundation problem.
- Another way to verify if you need foundation repair with the door is to check the frame. If the frame is separated from the door sill, you, most likely, have a foundation problem. An easy way to check for foundation damage is to regularly open and close the windows and doors of your house to make sure they don’t stick or squeak.
- The fourth sign that you may need foundation repair is curling/separating wallpaper. As the walls shift from a foundation problem, the wallpaper will also shift, causing it to separate or rip.
- Bowed walls are another sign of a foundation problem. These walls are normally seen in the basement, and they will be curved inward or outward.
- A leaning chimney is the sixth common sign of possible foundation damage. This needs foundation repair, or else it will cause water leaks and/or cracks around the mantel of the chimney.
- The seventh sign of a possible foundation problem is cracks appearing in the corners of door/window frames. If there is a foundation problem, cracks may start to appear where walls meet other walls. These cracks can also be seen on brick fireplace walls.
- Floors out of level are the eighth sign of a possible foundation problem. When the floor is not level, there may be an obvious slope, humps, or valleys on the surface of the floor.
- Another obvious sign of foundation damage is nails popping out for no apparent reason. The nails may come out of corner frames or out of sheet rock or gypsum walls.
- The tenth sign of a foundation problem is gaps between a patio, stairs/stoop. A foundation that needs repaired may start to move and separate from any attachments, such as a patio, stairs, etc. that it may have.
Why do you need foundation repair?
Damage to your foundation can be very dangerous, in order to keep your structure or home safe you should perform regular checks. To do this, go down the list above of signs of a foundation problem while trying to pay close attention to any oddities. Even then, there may be problems you may not see. If any problems exist you should have it assessed by a professional foundation contractor and repairs made as soon as possible to ensure continued safety and value of your home or property.